Thursday, October 8, 2009

Random thoughts on the passing scene

Sowell on “Think things, not words.”

  • The older I get, the more I learn to tolerate human shortcomings — and the less I tolerate bad attitudes.
  • When I contemplate the direction in which this government and this society are moving, my biggest consolation is that economists’ predictions are often wrong. I can only hope that my expectations are wrong by miles.
  • What is most frightening about the political Left is that they seem to have no sense of the tragedy of the human condition. All problems seem to them to be due to other people not being as wise or as noble as they are.
  • Oliver Wendell Holmes said, “Think things, not words.” In words, many see a need for “social justice” to override “the dictates of the market.” In reality, what is called “the market” consists of human beings making their own choices at their own cost. What is called “social justice” is government imposition of the notions of third parties, who pay no price for being wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment