Thursday, August 12, 2010

Absolute Khushwan and Omar, Ghalib and Tennyson

“You may or may not doubt the existence of God, you can’t doubt the certainty of death

Excerpts published from Khushwan's forthcoming book:

Omar Khayyam:


Into this Universe, and Why not knowing
Nor Whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing...”


and,


“There was a Door to which I found no Key
There was a Veil through which I could not see
Some little Talk awhile of Me and Thee
There seemed—and then no more of Thee and Me.”

Asadullah Khan Ghalib:

Age travels at galloping pace; who knows where it will stop
We do not have the reins in our hands nor our feet in the stirrups.


Tennyson:


“Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea...
Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness or farewell,
When I embark.”


I believe in the Jain philosophy that death ought to be celebrated. Earlier, whenever I was upset or low, I used to go to the cremation grounds. It has a cleansing effect, and worked like a therapy for me. In fact, I’d written my own epitaph years ago:


“Here lies one who spared neither man nor God
Waste not your tears on him, he was a sod
Writing nasty things he regarded as great fun
Thank the Lord he is dead, this son of a gun.”

No comments:

Post a Comment