Saturday, June 8, 2019

Prof Dharma Kumar

Author Ramchandra Guha had written about Prof Dharma Kumar in detail in The Hindu newspaper under the title of "Last Liberal". 

Prof Dharma Kumar contributed immensely to the Indian Economic Thoughts. She was professor for three decades in Delhi School of Economics.

The Saga of the DelhiSchool of EconomicsA Sketch by K.L. Krishna 

Some of her most notable works are below, for ready reference.

Cambridge Economic History of India

Cambridge Economic History of India Vol 2

Land and Caste in South India

Author Khushwant Sing narrated some stories shared by Prof Kumar:
  
"I am not Raghavan Iyer who got a first class first from Madras University; I am not Raghavan Iyer who got a first class first from Oxford University; I am not Raghavan Iyer who was elected president of the Student Union. I am not Raghavan Iyer, the most brilliant philosopher of the East. I am merely a spark of the Divine.”’ In his evening meditations, he went over the same lines with a variation of the last line — instead of “spark of the Divine”, he said, “I am only a vehicle of the Mahatmas.”

No comments:

Post a Comment